Wednesday, May 19, 2010
Yes that's right folks, I have switched over from a chemical ridden, paraben and sls infused, mineral oil heavy lifestyle to a greener, lighter, happier one. I'm super pumped about this and am already feeling better about my place in this world and about the stuff myself and Sofie will inhale, ingest, lick and eat off of. I have switched over as much as I can at this time and am open to more areas (depending on the product, my options and if it REALLY works) I do draw a line though (see **RANT** below) as to how far green I will go.
**RANT**The one place that I draw the line... where I go from just going green to going HIPPY is with my deodorant. Sorry to all those hippys out there reading this blog but crystal, organic, vegan, patcholi and tea tree deodorants are just NOT my thing. I've read the reviews, I know that you don't get stinky but I just don't believe it. I work in a richy-rich fitness center at a ritzy school so not only is being stinky a bad thing, it is just unheard of. As I said before I know that they aren't supposed to have you stinky but I just can't risk it. I also can't risk the sweaty, sticky pit feeling so bring on the pore clogging, non-sticky pit antiperspirant, I ain't switching **RANT** (but I will exfoliate so that the clogged pores will be sloughed off and I won't have negative reactions - see I'm learning!)
Now that THAT has been said, I'll tell you what happened to make this switch. I have some lotions that I put on. Sofie sometimes loves the smell so much she sneaks a taste (yuck I know but she does it so fast). I was realizing that if this stuff had chemicals it could hurt her. Luckily the ones she did this to were organic lotions (thank goodness). She also really loved the smell of my daily shower spray and would run in when I wasn't looking to lick the shower (odd I know) but that stuff was so awful and ridden with bad stuff I stopped using it. Then I was in the library one day and found a book that is now my going green bible. It's by Renee Loux and it's called Easy Green Living. It gives great tips on how to make simple changes, use household items like Baking Soda and White vinegar, it has recipes for homemade cleaners, polishers and body/face stuff, it even gives you recommendations on what brands are out there and what to look for! I started doing the stuff I could with what I had and it all worked flawlessly like she said so I definitely read up and slowly but surely am switching over.
The following is a list of household stuff I've switched to and what I think (in case you're looking to switch and need some ideas). If you have any questions about any of these let me know and I'll tell ya everything:
- BioKleen Multi and Seventh Generation Anti-Bac Multi-Surface Cleaners - Both awesome, I use SG Anti-Bac as a spray every so often when I need the anti-bac to anti-bac (it can be spendy). I use BioKleen for EVERYTHING including a floor cleaner & window/mirror wash. BK really works well on stuff you can't get off unless you scrub! Just spray, let it sit for a bit, come back and wipe - AMAZING! Smell is almost non-existent, what you can smell is light and citrusy. SG Anti-Bac smells like thyme, quite refreshing if you like that smell.
- Seventh Generation Shower Cleaner - I did one thorough cleaning with this stuff and now spray it on after every shower and let it dry (no wipe). In just 1 week it ate away at all the soap remnants left on my shower caddy which was not at all what I was expecting, phenomenal stuff, I highly recommend it.
- Mrs Meyers Geranium Toilet Bowl Cleaner - Smells great and works the same as Clorox toilet cleaner
- Ecover Multi purpose cream scrub - It got even the toughest junk I couldn't get off with my chemicals before, no smell, LOVE THIS STUFF!
- Biokleen Vitamin E & Aloe Dish Soap - Since it is large and inexpensive I actually use this as my hand soap in the bathroom & kitchen. I also use it as a body wash and it works great! With the Aloe and Vitamin E it doesn't dry out your skin like other soaps can, it's biodegradable and all natural - YESSS!
- Mrs Meyers Dish Soap - Works and smells great but spendy so I've switched to Seventh Generation Dish Soap. Haven't used it too much so if interested I'll update how that works later.
- Mrs Meyers Lavender Fabric Softener Sheets - Fan-Freakin-Tastic! They make everything so soft and fluffy. I've noticed when I compare what I've softened with them to what I've used in the past, the past FS left a film on my clothes where as Mrs Meyers doesn't.
- Seventh Generation Eucalyptus & Lavender Laundry Detergent - Still in the early stages, I use it on everything but the real test is with my workout clothes and Dri-Fit work clothes. Will let you know if it works as well as Tide.
- Mystery (don't remember name) Free and Clear Lavender Laundry Detergent - There is a certain brand of laundry detergent I found back at home in Cali at Costco that was phenomenal and I vowed to switch over to it permanently. When I went back to Costco here in Wa I couldn't find it so I googled it and found out it is only sold in certain states and Idaho was one of them. I went to Costco just over the border and still no luck. I keep trying but I haven't found it since so as you see above I'm trying others but Tide is sticking around until I find an Eco-Friendly equivalent or the mystery one again.
- White Vinegar & Baking Soda - I use this for various things and have many recipes for them so I buy it in bulk from Costco. My fave thing to do is dump 1/2-1 cup of baking soda down the drain then pour the vinegar in until it foams up really well. Instant drain cleaner (and fun to watch), it's like a chemistry experiment! Second fave - as a coffee maker cleaner! It works wonders and makes my coffee taste phenomenal, less acidic.
My next trials will be with Mrs. Meyers Lavender Laundry Detergent and MAYBE a Dishwasher Detergent (I've had REALLY bad luck with other eco-friendly powder dish detergents but since I know how bad the bad stuff is I'll try a brand name from above and let you know how it works, hopefully it'll W-O-R-K)
My next installment will include the skin, hair, and cosmetic choices I've made to help myself AND the environment!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


DUDE! Totally diggin it! Thanks for posting this, talk about helpful info and good to hear so many of the products work so well. I'm always afraid that they won't clean like the others pumped full of harmful chem's. Good to know!
ReplyDeleteCool! I have tried certain eco-friendly stuff in the past but they never worked well. This was years ago though. I will definitely try some of the products you tried. I must say that over the last couple years, Tim and I are much better about recycling and we proudly only have one full kitchen bag of garbage a week.
ReplyDelete