Thursday, July 23, 2009

What's New

It's been awhile so I'd thought I would post something... only thing is I don't have much to post at this moment!


Last weekend I went to Sandpoint, Id and had an amazing time at my friend's cabin on Lake Ponderay. It was gorgeous, hot, and SUPER relaxing! Sofie LOVED it because she had freedom to move about. Its customary to leave the doors open while someone is there so she had the ability to walk in and out of the house whenever she wanted! We spent most of our time at the cabin on the beach by the water but we did also go into town. On Saturday we went into Sandpoint to go to the farmer's market and have lunch. It is probably one of the better markets in the greater Spokane area, losing only to Moscow Farmers market which is TOP NOTCH! If I were to rate all the farmers markets... wait, I'm getting off topic, I'll do this at the bottom of this post instead! Anyways, we went into Sandpoint and their Farmers Market and purchased salad greens (with edible flowers, yum!), Tofu salad from Small Planet Tofu (greatest Tofu and Tofu Spreads EVER!), Bing Cherries, Sara got a painted planter pot for her mom, and I got a super cute wall decoration made from local lamswool. It is a turquoise blue (color of DEEP clear ocean water!) 3-D star with a face and cute little cheeks and hair. We don't usually get those types of decor things anymore but it was so cute I couldn't pass it up and it boosted our local economy so you can't go wrong with that!

After the market we strolled through downtown to see if anything had changed since I was last there - it hadn't, I'm pretty disappointed with Sandpoint! You would think with who they have owning houses around the area and the MONEY that comes in there they would have cute little shops, especially a cute dog boutique (possibly over priced but at least an option)! They had barely ANYTHING! I think there was just 1 store we went into and liked things out of and it was of course and outdoor store... did they have dog stuff though? NO! For saying your a dog friendly community, I am SHOCKED! We then retreated back to the car and decided to put Sofie in and get some food to go from Joel's Taco Shop. We both ordered burritos, mine was a Pork Carnita burrito and Sara got Tofu Chorizo. We took them back to the cabin and ate them for lunch, both were great (although Sara said that hers wasn't so great the next day as breakfast mixed with the fruit she had)! I would definitley recommend going there next time you visit Sandpoint!

We spent the rest of that day and the beginning of the next at the beach relaxing, swimming, and playing with Sofie who LOVED THE WATER, swimming, fetching, and lying on the towels to relax! It was mid 90's both days so by Sunday morning we were wiped but headed back into the water for a dunk and warm up/dry off and headed out around 10:30am! On the way back we stopped at Desofias coffee shop in or just outside of Athol? It was great! I had a Mayan Mocha and Sara had a Chai, YUMMY is all I gotta say!

We got home, ate lunch at Sara's then I headed back to my humble abode. Both Sofie and I were exhausted, Sofie proceeded to sleep the next two days excessively, I think partly because she was depressed to be leaving so much freedom and swimming! I keep telling her though that in just 2 more weeks we will be going on another freedom adventure back home and she will be not only free but reunited with her Auntie Katy, my dad's dog!

So now back to the Farmer's Market Ratings. I know I have been to quite a few but I can only remember the following to rate:

Farmer's Market Ratings:

1. Monterey, Ca Farmers Market - Tuesdays (I think, I use to go when I was in college)
2. Eugene, Or Farmers Market - Saturdays
3. Arcata, Ca Farmers Market - Saturdays
4. Moscow, Id Farmers Market - Saturdays
5. Sandpoint, Id Farmers Market - Saturdays
6. Liberty Lake, Wa Farmers Market - Saturdays
7. Millwood, Wa Farmers Market - Wednesdays
8. Mckinleyville, Ca Farmers Market - Wednesdays (I think)
50. Spokane, Wa Farmers Market - Saturdays

Now I know I skipped many numbers to get to Spokane's farmers market but it was by far the worst ever that I have been to. I was extremely dissappointed that all of our local farmers are not willing to support this Market! I am also shocked at the horrible place the have the Market. In Monterey they shut down a HUGE section of streets during the middle of the week so that people can walk down the street, it is like a street fair vs. a farmers market! Arcata and Eugene offer theirs in a central location downtown and all but Moscow just block off one street but HELLO, Plazas of towns are GREAT areas to have markets! Spokane, what about Riverside State Park right by the carosel? Great location, centralized! DUH!!! Liberty Lake, Sandpoint, and Moscow all offer theirs in parks or major parking lots that are extremely easy to access right in their downtown area! Spokane, get the picture CENTRAL LOCATION, EASY ACCESS, DOWNTOWN!!! I have yet to go to one in Portland but I have only heard GREAT things about it so I know it'll be amazing when I move there in the future!

2 comments: