Saturday, May 2, 2009

Bloomin' Bloomsday! AND Congrats 50:1! What amazing odds!

Tomorrow is the 33rd Annual running of the Lilac Bloomsday Run. If you are uninformed Bloomsday is an annual run that is HUGE in Spokane and I will be of the MAAAANNNNYYY participating this year (YIKES)!

This is the first year I have had off since I started living here in Spokane so what better a reason. That and I actually do run (usually about 3+ miles on every Friday) but nothing like the 7.46 miles I will be running tomorrow morning in the RAIN!

YES THAT IS RIGHT, IT'S FORECASTED TO RAIN, RAIN, RAIN! (and if you don't know me than you would know that I HATE the rain)

So as of Wednesday I logged my last run at 5 miles. That was my longest run that I have ever simply ran. It wasn't too bad actually and I could see myself doing it instead of my normal approximate 3 miler I run on Fridays.

I have been reading up on how to train for runs and how to eat so that I do the best that I can tomorrow. They recommend that you do lighter workouts the week prior to the run and of course cut back on fats and simple sugars. NO PROB, plus add additional carbs to your diet = MONEY!

I only worked out 4 times this week - a 3+ miler on Monday, 20 min recumbent on Tuesday, 5 miler on Wednesday, and a 2o minute recumbent on Thursday. Now I am ITCHING to work out (so I see what they mean by being prepared - I would do anything to do SOMETHING). Today my plan is 5 minute recumbent warm up followed by a long stretch and foam rolling (so I guess I should start soon).

The thing I see as a common theme among these youngsters that I work with is that they decide to take runs/perform high intensity workouts all this week. Yesterday I saw one of my staffers doing 45 minutes of a high intensity stair stepper routine and another go out for a 5 mile run = CRAZY! Do they not know how to properly prepare? I guess they are so young they can do that stuff!

My plan of attack for this run is simple - run for as long as I can! I hear the big Doomsday hill is at mile 5 which I now know I can make it to relatively easily so once I get there I want to run up to the top of the hill then if I feel the need to call it, I call it and I walk for a bit but of course no matter what I will run through that damn finish line like it's nobody's business!!! Unfortunately it'll be raining so hopefully I can stick it out in that, and find the most appropriate running attire at my homestead, to do so.

Wish me luck and I'll let you know how I did next week :-)


SIDE NOTE: Today marked the 135th annual Kentucky Derby - I was routing for two stars: Friesan Fire to take it and I Want Revenge who ended up scratching this morning due to ankle swelling, and two underdogs: Atomic Rain and Flying Private.

Well, none of my horses did well but a HUGE CONGRATS to Mine That Bird who was also an underdog as my two picks as a 50:1 shot. He got in the inside, rode the rear of the favorite Pioneerof the Nile and once Pioneerof the Nile moved away from the inside, Mine that Bird rode in and AWAY with the win!!! If only that had been my long shot choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment