Thursday, March 19, 2009

Visitors

For the last few weeks I have had a few visitors. First there was my dad here for a week. He came up for the final Zags game and to see me before he headed out on his next big adventure. I spent most of the time at work but I did get an entire weekend with him (YAY). While I was at work my dad spent his time taking pics (as always) and this time he discovered the big flower green house up at Manito Park on the South Hill. He spent hours there and took MILLIONS of pictures. Here are just a few:


The weekend I had off we spent traveling around. We headed out to Colville (call-ville) but didn't make it because we went the wrong way, then we also headed North East from my house into Idaho. We spent some time at Heyburn State Park where my dad took a few pics of our dogs' amazing jumping feats while catching snowballs (they are obsessed!). I will post those pics later once I get them from my dad (hint, hint dad).

My dad left on Monday the 9th which was the first day of Gonzaga's spring break so for those next few days I spent time by myself relaxing and cleaning for my next visitor.

On Saturday (after a crappy week of wierd shifts and having to work on my "day off"), Sofie and I drove to Umatilla, Oregon (about 3 hours south of Spokane) to pick up my friend Aine. Her and her parents drove up from LA to Portland on Friday and met me in Umatilla the next day so I could spend time with her before they arrived in Spokane on Monday. On our drive back Aine and I stopped at Fishtrap to let Sofie out and took a pic:
We then proceeded to Chaps (YUMMY), which is by FAAAAARRRRR the best place to eat breakfast and lunch in the area. Super quaint establishment - old house moved and added on to to create enough space for their booming business. You can sit outside in the summers with your dogs to eat - they provide doggie bowls and a fun atmosphere. Inside it is super warm and comfy with a fun cowboy decor all over. Their food is DELICIOUS - both Aine and I had Blue Cheese Burgers with roasted red potatoes. My usual there is their veggie omelet. I don't know what they put in there to make it SOOO delicious - being from California (the land of veggie omelets) I have had many but none even COMPARE to one of their staple items. Last time I went there was with my dad and I had their seasonal pumpkin bread french toast (holy YUM) with a side of bacon and I don't remember what else because it was sooo good. What I am trying to say here - if you are EVER in Spokane you MUST go to Chaps!

Anyways, back to my story of visitors (sorry about that, I got super excited for a second)...

So after lunch, Aine and I went and traveled around Spokane. I showed her downtown and the South Hill. We then proceeded home to veg - we were both EXHAUSTED from traveling. Not knowing what our plans were going to be that night we though we would just be veggin for a bit then getting ready. We ended up veggin a lot, going to the store to get staple food items for Aine, dinner at Wingers (Chicken pot pie) and two movies. We ate dinner at home, watched a move (Hancock - she hadn't seen it before) then proceeded to bed.

We woke up the next morning and I got ready to head into work for a few hours (of course yet again on my NEW day off). After work I headed back home to find Aine veggin out on the couch with my darling Sofie. They had just gotten back from a walk. We loaded up into the car and headed out to tour around the valley. We first went up to Greenbluff. Aine said that it looked just like her hometown of Downpatrick, Ireland but the roads were wider here and paved. We took the following pics:

After Greenbluff we headed over and up to Mt Spokane State Park where we played in the Snow for a bit. Sofie is OBSESSED with snow and loves to run around in it, play, and catch snow balls. Aine was PUMPED to see the snow and I just had to go to the bathroom after having my fill of the stuff already this winter. Here are a few select pics from our adventures on Mt. Spokane:
On the Drive Up
Sofie and I on the Snowshoe trail
Sofie searching for the snowball she missed (she didn't find it)
Sofie jumping for a snowball
SUCCESS! She finally caught one
Aine pre snow angel
Aine mid fall

It snowed on us a bit but we decided to take this pic right before we headed out.

Our next stop was Arbor Crest Winery where the view of the Spokane River and Spokane Valley is amazing! The property itself is pretty phenomenal but we only took a few pics:
Pics are of the view from Arbor Crest and one of the houses on the property

We were cold and wet so we drove around a bit more, discussed dinner options (my Lentil Soup) and headed home.

The next two days I went into work. On Monday Sofie and Aine went for a walk together and Aine lost her phone! I headed home mid day to pick her up and we went searching for that then headed to GU so I could show her around and so her parent's had an easy place to meet her. Once they got here they headed out and found a hotel then relaxed until I got off work.

After work I headed home, took Sofie for another walk, changed, and headed out with Aine and her Parent's back up to Greenbluff. After that drive we went to dinner at the Italian restaurant my dad found when he was here. I had Spaghetti and Meatballs (I know it was basic but I was hungry for something NORMAL) and it was delicious. They each ate one of their seafood dishes and seemed to enjoy it... I think the key theme for the night though was BREAD!

The next day - St. Patricks Day - I headed off to work. While I was at work Aine and her parent's to a long 2 hour walk with Sofie towards Idaho then went back to the hotel to rest up for the nights adventures. Did I mention they are from Ireland? They moved over to the U.S. when Aine was 10 so her parent's have these VERY STRONG irish accents and their family celebrates St. Patricks Day BIG!

We went to the only Irish Pub I know of in Spokane - O'Doherty's. It was entertaining and we had quite a few Guinnesses (I also had a few Black n' Tans and a green beer to round out my irish options) to fill us up (as well as food of course - me a Hooligan & Hannigan, Aine's fam all had their fantabulous Fish & Chips). Aine's parents were like celebrities in the Pub due to their accents so it was almost like we were famous all night! My friends met up with us later to eat dinner and throw back a few green beers - Ashley tried her first Guinness and wasn't a fan but then I had her try my Black n' Tan (my most favorite beer option ever) and she LOVED it! We met quite a few people and hung out with the elders until about 10:30 (we got there at 4:30) then Aine's parent's and I headed out due to exhaustion and the pubs population change (from a mix, to all adults, then youngins at the end). Aine got back to my apartment at 12 midnight after spending more time with Ashley and others.
Aine and I at O'Doherty's

The next morning we woke up EARLY and headed over to her parent's hotel for breakfast. They left later that day and I ventured to my Spokane parent's house to visit and walk with Mardell and Sofie. I got home around 6pm exhausted and ready to eat dinner and sleep.

I realized I had a quite adventurous two and a half weeks and when I got home I took a deep breath and began gearing up for my next big adventure! What it is I do not know but I am definitely glad for the break right now and although Sofie is missing the attention and fun I think she is as well due to her heavy sleeping last night.

1 comment: