Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Skinny Jeans

Today I had to walk across campus to turn in my staff's timesheets and I happen to stumble upon a few students (few meaning the classes were out and EVERYONE was waking about the campus). I noticed a few things during this walk: It was a beautiful day,

THE JEAN STYLE THAT IS POPULAR HERE IS HORRENDOUS,

In case you were unaware, Gonzaga is a private catholic university. Students here tend to come from families who can afford to send their child (or multiple children) to this private university as well as buy them $200 jeans to wear while cleaning our fitness center, multiple Coach "wristlets" (what an awful concept and waist of MONEY), and send them to Egypt and Italy on vacation every year. In my time here at Gonzaga I have learned quite a bit about jeans and the different brands that I was not exposed to coming from a small mountain town in Northern California. Expensive jeans for us REALLY Nor*Cal gals would cost $60 TOPS! I am now in the land of Joes Jeans, Paige, Rock & Republic, True Religion, Blue Cult and Sevens which can range from $80-250 (the latter being on sale).

So my one question to you, to ANYONE is when you have the money to afford such expensive jeans WHY BUY JEANS THAT ARE BASICALLY SPANDEX TIGHTS? Why not just buy blue spandex? Spandex and Skinny Leg jeans are both the most UNATTRACTIVE pant on ANY woman. No matter your age, size, body type... they are just plain damn UNATTRACTIVE! Why, WHY the obsession? I saw almost every single girl (who was wearing jeans on campus today) wearing these damn ugly things. They don't look good on anyone, if you have any curves they make them larger and if you don't have any curves they make you look like you have them... IN THE BAD WAY! Then when they stretch out (by the end of the day) you look like you have a diaper butt! WHY?!?!?!? . I thought these things left with the neon in the 80's but I guess I was wrong. I mean jease louise, spandex at least have a purpose, Skinny Leg Jeans DO NOT! THIS WAS NOT A GOOD MOVE you stylistas out there, take them back, stick them in a time capsule AND NEVER OPEN IT!

UGGS ARE EVERYWHERE,

My other observation on campus was the UGG boot which can be totally necessary here in our snowy cold inland northwest weather which we are on the cusp of having. Note:I am not an anti Ugg girl like so many are; I happen to have 2 pairs which were given to me as gifts when I was a junior in High school. Let me repeat that part... WHEN I WAS A JUNIOR IN HIGH SCHOOL!!! That means over 10 years ago! Students here think they are a part of cutting edge fashion but LET ME TELL YOU SISTER... YOU'RE NOT! I have 2 pairs of Ugg 2nd gen and you have Ugg 10th gen. I had a student discuss with me this past weekend how they need a new pair of Uggs because they had purchased them when they first came out "like 3 years ago"... I'm just gonna stop here!

AND IF ONLY THEY KNEW HOW UNFUNNY THEY ARE...

My final observation was something that I have noticed a lot of kids saying lately "that's what she said." Again, lets refer back to both of the above topics and how they are a new "generation" of an original and yet again this one goes right along with the above. These kids laugh hysterically when this little term is added on to the end of something someone else said. All I want to say to them is... IT'S BEEN DONE and IT'S NOT THAT FUNNY!

Ahh the trials and tribulations of growing older. I am going to close with a quote from Matthew McConaughey in Dazed and Confused (a great movie which I am sure none of these kids have EVER heard of). It discusses how he feels about high school girls sooooo just change HSG to college kids, add a sarcastic tone and you'll have the gist of it!

"That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I keep getting older and they stay the same age."
Matthew McConaughey as David Wooderson - Dazed and Confused

No comments:

Post a Comment