I am a pretty basic breakfast eater and yes I have a routine. Since am up for work between 4 and 4:30 am Monday through every other Friday I like to keep it simple with something solid and easy. I usually eat Oatmeal with flax seeds, a splash of soy milk and some smart start/butter flavored spray. Sometimes I add in peanut butter and when I was really ill a few years ago I started poaching an egg and putting that into the mix. It was really good then but now it just makes my stomach turn (I think I needed the additional protein at the time). On weekends of course I let myself go and eat cereal, go out to fun breakfasts or make fun stuff at home.
In the past I have tried to make a crock pot apple porridge thing which I would eat off of for days but it takes too much effort and planning to get it all ready. I recently found this basic recipe from an online source (not too sure where) and thought I would give it a try because it seemed easy and was similar to what I already eat (plus I had everything already so I didn't have to buy any stuff before). I have made this breakfast twice now and I just have to share it (then I'll give you my changes/additions):
Belly Stuffing Peanut Butter Oatmeal
Serves: 3-4
Prep: 10min Cook: 20min Total: 30min
Ingredients:
2 C old fashioned oats
2 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs
2 C vanilla soy milk
1 C water
4 tbsp natural peanut butter
2 tbsp agave syrup
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Coat an 8 x 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray
3. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups of old fashioned oats and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
4. In a medium bowl, beat 2 eggs and add 2 cups of vanilla soy milk, a cup of water, and 4 tablespoons of natural peanut butter
5. Add to the oats, pour mixture into dish, and bake for 20 minutes. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons agave syrup.
Here are my changes...
1. "Agave Syrup," never heard of it nor do I have it and I NEVER put it in or add it, I don't like sweet things too much and I think this is just an awful sounding addition (but that's just me, if you end up using it, let me know how it is!)
2. I make it in a round white baking dish and I am not sure of the size
3. I put the dry ingredients into the baking dish and the wet with the peanut butter into another one to mix then I pour the wet ingredients into the baking dish (saves on the cleaning process)
4. I put 2 tablespoons of flax seeds into my dry mix
5. This last time I added raisins to the mix, it was pretty good but it had to cook longer
6. I have been having to cook it for 30+ minutes so check it at 20 and if the top hasn't set and still looks liquidous please keep it in for longer. I usually go in 5 minute increments until it looks solid.
**This has been lasting me about 4 mornings. I'll usually heat it up for about 3 minutes in the microwave, let it cool a bit then add in a splash or so of soy milk. Next time I think I'll try blueberries in the mix to see how that cooks up.**
No comments:
Post a Comment