Friday, June 20, 2008

A Call From the Vet

So no one expects or even wants a call from the vet after leaving your puppy there earlier to be spayed... well I got one today!!! I panicked and dropped the phone without even answering the darn thing which made it hang up so then they called right back...

Turns out Sofie's little eye problem is a big issue (which I knew but hoped she would grow out of it like they sometimes can) and my Vet wanted to know if I wanted to have that fixed, he said that due to the fact she has had it for 2+ months now, she probably won't grow out of it.

I took her in right after I first got her and had her initial checkup. They gave me some medicine and said that it should clear up in about two weeks. Well it didn't and I read up and saw it was called Entropion - sometimes hereditary but mostly occurs when there is a injury to the eyelid (scratched or something) which can make the eyelid swell and curl in. If dogs do not heal correctly from their injury their eyelid permanently curls in which irritates their eye; causing it to tear, get things caught in the eyelid, as well as have the hairs scratch the eye's surface.

I freaked out, I know its pretty minor but my poor little thing; having one traumatizing thing done NOW turn into two where one is pretty delicate... AHHH!

Anyways, he said that he has done it many times before, rarely has he gotten more tissue that needed off but it has happened (it is truely nice that he admitted it cause then I know that it could happen and it makes me less worried than a vet who is all cocky about it and says that it NEVER would happen ya know). She needs to be in her fun elizabethian collar for the next 10 days no matter what where before it was just 2-3 days, oh and it will cost $150 more for it to be done... I of course called my dad for support and he said that i should get it done now because she is already under and it is something he things she will have to get done anyways. I called the vet back and had him do it, he was relieved and said that it would same me $$ in the long run as well as another anestesia situation for my puppy and potential issues with her eye if I wait any longer.

I'm just sitting here shaking and worried hoping that she turns out okay and she will get through it alright and remain my beautiful little puppy. I know that in the long run all will be good and it is smarter that I did it now but geez, who wants a call from the vet just 1 hour after you drop your puppy off!!!

1 comment:

  1. Kerri, Everything will be fine. She is a strong puppy and will bounce back fast. If you need to talk just give me a call. Love you.

    ReplyDelete